Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Car + Driver = Problems !!

Sigh....sigh...sigh...really a bad day today.

The story goes like this:

3 weeks ago, our family driver(Mr S) informed us that his daughter was ill & hospitalised. Subsequent calls to him indicated that his daughter is diagnosed with Bronchitis, then Asthma...

As a result, we have been having a relief driver since.

Last week, I've had enough of the current relief driver(Mr L), who:
1. complained about not having a proper rest area for him to sleep, and
2. took his time to chat with his fellow driver friend, and finishing off his cigarette; while kids & I were in the car !

Hence, I called up Bruce's colleague to help sort out the driver issues:
1. whether Mr S is coming back to work for us or not (I was beginning to suspect that something is wrong, with the endless leave of absence);
2. complain to the car rental company & request for a change of relief driver if necessary..

The answer I got back was, Mr S has left the company ! And after calling Mr S, I concluded that Mr S has left the company the previous week!

I was MAD. Why is it that nobody in the car rental company inform us about this change? If I did not probe, will this not surface? And I'll be stucked with an uncompatible driver (Mr L) who not only dislike working for us as a family driver, who also lives on the other side of the river?

As such, I requested for a change in the car rental company. I do not want to be sabotage by such irresponsible behaviour in future.

But this is just the beginning of my driver trouble.......

Guess what did I see this afternoon in our residential compound??

The car that was used to service us, that same car driven by Mr S, was parked right inside our compound, in front of the clubhouse. What a coincidence, I thought. One of my neighbours could have rented a car from the same company, and gotten this car...I thought...But hey ! That windbreaker on the driver's seat looks familiar ! It's the same one worn by Mr S !

Hm....I checked with our security guard, which house is this car being registered under. It's house #15....that's my house ! Nobody else rented this car from the car rental company other than my family !

So, with the security guard by my side, we walked towards the drivers' rest area. There he was, Mr S, having a game of cards with his fellow driver friends!

I blurted out, "你不是跳槽了吗?"....Mr S muttered something, the security guard told him to leave, Mr S threw his cards on the table. Took him awhile to leave, guess he had a plan, and he had to execute it. And that plan was Not to be seen in the same car; hence, he drove another car, while another driver friend of his, drove the original car....both cars left the compound together....but who can he fool? His windbreaker in the original car already "let the cat out of the bag" !!

This time, I am FURIOUS !!! How can such a thing happen??? The car rental company & the driver had lied ! What is the motive behind this? If Mr S did not like being a family driver, he could have informed his company, and gotten this sorted out! Or if the car rental company has other plans for this driver, they should have just informed us, and we can always have a change of driver !

Why go through such "lengthy acts", to be caught red handed in the end?? I don't care about what cultural differences are there, this, to me, is simply an act of IRRESPONSIBILITY!!!

Sigh...what a disappointment...the kids liked Mr S, especially when he'll play with them while waiting for the adults to get ready; we had treated him well; and our guests(my cousin & MIL) had always given him gifts upon departure from Shanghai..

Now I am really disillusioned by human nature in China....sigh...