Being an expatriate's wife is so different. Till date, I do not call Shanghai home, and yet, when we are back in Singapore, due to the fact that we do not have a house, there is no home either !! So, I feel extremely Lost.
A lot has happened in the last 365 days. There were happy & unhappy moments... My emotions has been on the longest roller coaster ride ever.
Although I enjoyed the change of seasons, the discovery of facinating places of interest in this part of the world, the sincerity & friendship of fellow sin/mal expats, etc...I hated being a loner in my marriage, a single parent most of the time, and far from my dad.
I know nothing can be perfect. I know my husband is working extremely hard for his stint here. I know I have to be a much more understanding wife. But I DUN LIKE IT. Does anybody care? Well, for one I know, my husband has NO time to care :(
So, I've grown...yes, literally grown at the age of xx. I've grown to be much more independent. I can handle my 2 little monsters all by myself, be it bringing them out for meals, to a mall, or for a swim ! Gone were the days when I needed my MIL to stay with me while Bruce is out of town. I can do it all by myself ! Thank goodness my kids are also growing up, and as they see less of their daddy, they realise that they have no other choices but to listen to mummy, and they better listen or the consequences will be 'unthinkable' :) haha...
And over the months, we've progressed quite a bit. Canes are out, I no longer need the use of the cane to discipline my kids. Ayi is out too, as in, no more stay in maid - just one who comes in the morning and leaves at night. We are getting into a routine. And life is getting a bit more 'structured'...
Since I have no choice, I have to just take it in my stride right? And trust me, am trying very hard to stay SANE !
p.s. many thanks to my new friends out there who'd 'been there, done that' in Shanghai, and always including me in your luncheons, marketing, massage sessions, & of course, appreciate your listening ear whenever I feel vaxed (^6^)
p.p.s. special thanks to my old friends in Singapore who'd lent a 'listening ear' via email or msn (^o^).